Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
1. Upon completion of this lesson, you will be able to:
2. Define personal protective equipment.
3. Describe the types of personal protective equipment.
4. Describe the basic type of personal protective equipment.
5. Describe the advanced type of personal protective equipment.
6. List The Key points to remember while using PPE.
7. Demonstrate the donning and doffing of PPE.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is defined as ‘all equipment (including clothing affording protection against the weather) which ’ is intended to be worn or held by a person at work and which protects him against one or more risks to his health or safety’, e.g. safety helmets, gloves, eye protection, high-visibility clothing, safety footwear (Shoes) and safety harnesses. A professional Firefighter uses all kind of PPE that protect them from danger and hazards that are life threatening.
Types of PPE:
There are two types of personal protective equipment
Basic PPE for Fire Rescuers:
Fire Turnout gear.
Fire Safety Gloves.
Fire Safety Helmet with Visor.
Advance PPE for Fire Rescuers:
Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.
Thermal Imaging Camera.
Personal Gas Detector.
Chemical Protection Suits (Level A,B,C).
Key points to remember while using PPE:
Safety is every one’s responsibility.
PPE is properly assessed before use to ensure it is suitable.
PPE is maintained and stored properly.
PPE is provided with instructions on how to use it safely and PPE is used correctly by employees.